Thursday, January 3, 2008

The holidays

I always work myself up for the holidays. I happen to think my birthday is the most important day of the year. Christmas is second to that only because it means I get to see everyone I love (usually) and I get the day off. This year was special as we got to show off our newest addition Maxwell to our family. Its also the last time we will likely see our family for quite awhile as we only travel every other year.
And it was a let down. I'm not trying to be a bummer here but it was. Traveling with 2 kids on an airplane was ok. Getting there wasn't too bad. But keeping up with different time zones, new sleep schedules, or not sleeping at all was terrible. Add in the fact that I had to live out of a suitcase for 2 weeks and it got worse. Plus, all my old friends were missing in action. We all emailed and talked big about meeting up for coffee or something but when it came time I made phone calls, sent emails, and not one showed up. In fact, the one friend I did see I had to drop in on. Its not always like this but perhaps this year we have officially begun growing apart. Maybe next year we won't even bother emailing...if this is the case how will we plan our 10 year reunion?!?
Anyway, the kids enjoyed it. We took 2 extra suitcases home full of gifts and our house is overwhelmed with toys again. They loved playing with family, spending extra time with mom and dad and seeing new friends. It was worth it for them. It always will be in the end right?
On another note a good friend gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Dec. 27th...welcome to the world Erin!

No comments: