Thursday, January 5, 2012

Blue and Gold Banquet...

Yes, I did give the ok to plan a banquet for 100 Scouts and family members less than two weeks before I'm due to give birth. Yes, this is what being an Alpha Mom is all about...over promising and over extending yourself to the point of pure and total exhaustion. The trouble is, I've never been to a Blue and Gold Banquet. In fact, I had to Google it just to find out what the heck I was planning. Turns out it's a Boy Scout Birthday Party and quite frankly I've got a few birthday parties under my belt. How bad can this be? right?!

So, the next question is how would me planning it even come up? Well, as with anything, give an inch they'll take a mile. Everyone else was busy. Everyone else had projects A through Z. And I was the next gal at the table. I told them this was a bad idea, but here I am. It brought me to thinking a lot about volunteering and how we treat volunteers though. I mean, have you volunteered lately? You have to put up with a lot of crap just to give of your time and energy freely these days! To be a Boy Scout Pack Committee Member I filled out an extensive application (complete with background check). Then I went through 4, separate trainings that each took nearly an hour to complete online. And every time I think I'm finally "trained" and ready to operate I check my email and hear I need something else. Then there's how everyone treats each other. I mean we are volunteering here right? Shouldn't we be grateful for help, gracious for what they offer, and try to work together peacefully? It's not all bad. I love seeing things come together, but I hope we will all remember when we are out volunteering that the time we are spending is precious and we should try to be as gracious as possible. To each other!

No comments: